- 2-3 cups honeysuckle flowers
- caster sugar
- lemon zest and juice OR orange zest and juice
- 2 sachets vege-gel (vegetarian gelatine)
- 1 cup mashed wild strawberries (optional)
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g butter
- 2 eggs
- 110g self raising flour
- 1 cup lemon balm leaves, shredded
- 1 cup scented rose petals, shredded
- rose water OR orange flower water
- whipped cream
- edible leaves and flowers to decorate
Honeysuckle jelly – put the honeysuckle flowers in a measuring jug with the lemon zest/juice OR orange zest/juice and add boiling water to make it up to about 800ml. When it has cooled enough to sample, add sugar to taste. Leave to infuse until it has cooled. Once completely cool, pour it through a sieve into a saucepan and add the sachets of vege-gel. Bring to the boil, take off the heat and pour into a heat-proof mould. Pop it in the fridge to set.
The sponge – Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan assisted). Cream the butter and sugar together until pale. Add the eggs, beating them in to combine, add the shredded lemon balm and rose petals then sieve the sr flour in, folding until combined. Pour into a greased tin and bake for about 10-15 mins. Leave to cool completely.
Combine everything – Pick a deep dish and put the sponge in the base. Drizzle a little rose water or orange flower water onto the sponge, then scoop the jelly to form the next layer. Finish it with whipped cream and decorate with edible flowers and leaves.